This position is a temporary, two-year, full time position, not eligible for renewal. Employee is responsible for the professional development of the assigned regimental class as a part of the Regiment of Midshipmen, and oversees their administration. Responsibilities include creating and maintaining a company atmosphere which fosters leadership, honor, duty, courtesy and military bearing. Employee provides guidance, mentoring, counselling and supervision to the company midshipmen/officers. Employee will teach Professional Development Courses commensurate with employee’s education and experience. Employee is responsible for limited Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) teaching requirements related to watch standing and watch team management. Employee will manage Band, Drill and Cruise MWR budgets and are responsible for report preparation.
- Oversees the daily routine of assigned students.
- In association with other Student Services personnel helps to administer the regimental discipline system and assists with disciplinary boards as required.
- Assists with regimental formations, ceremonies and functions.
- Performs uniform inspections.
- Conducts student personal, academic and disciplinary counselling.
- Develops and teaches Personal Development classes and maintains related midshipmen accountability records.
- Required to participate in the annual training cruise.
- Stands Staff Watch Officer Duty.
- Coordinates and supervises ship maintenance and maintains related midshipmen accountability records with designated ship’s crew.
- Prepares assigned midshipmen for cruise and monitors their pre-cruise training.
- Assists with the administration of the Academy Drug & Alcohol Testing program. Responsible for remaining current with Academy training on same.
- May participate in the student recruiting process.
- Oversees student watch performance during the academic year, enforcing standards of watch keeping and certifying STCW compliance.
- Assist with annual training cruise planning and coordination for events and services in foreign and domestic ports of call.
- Provide management and oversight of the Band and Drill Team budgets.
- Generates and maintains student academic and disciplinary records in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws (FERPA).
- Communicates with families of students or the community as appropriate.
- Ensures adherence to OSHA, NFPA and other applicable safety codes.
- Other duties may be assigned.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to effectively shepherd, train and educate college-age students and work in a student-oriented training environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills required; ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
- Strong customer service skills, ability to speak with outside constituents to include parents
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic
- Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties as required
- Sufficient computer skills to operate shipboard and other automated systems
- Knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred and/or ability and willingness to obtain Bachelor’s Degree within two years of hire.
- Evidence of successful completion of leadership/management training preferred
- Prior teaching/education experience preferred
- Criminal background clearance required
- Must be able to obtain: Merchant Mariner Credential, TWIC, US Passport
- Five years in a leadership role preferred.
- The physical requirements as outlined in the NVIC 04-08, as updated periodically by the U.S. Coast Guard, are herein incorporated.
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized.
- Lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, and pulling are required frequently
- The work environment while onboard ship includes extremes in weather conditions, rough seas and occasional loud mechanical noises
- Tobacco-free campus
How to Apply
Please visit https://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for application instructions and forms. Interested individuals should submit the following documents in a single email to HR@mma.edu (in the subject line of your email, please write your name and the position for which you are applying):
- Cover Letter
- Completed MMA Application*
- Copies of applicable professional certifications and/or licenses
- Contact information for at least three professional references
- Completed MMA Application Checklist
- MMA Self-Identification Form (attach as separate document)
*Pages 2 and 3 of the MMA Application must be signed and dated by hand or signed electronically using an electronic signature verification service. Electronic signatures, to include images of hand-written signature, will not be accepted unless so verified.
PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation. Individuals cruising onboard our ships are also required to undergo a pre-employment drug-screening.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
Equal Employment Opportunities
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, sex, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities. The Academy provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals upon request.
Women, minorities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location/Region: Castine, ME (US - 04420)