Full Time, Exempt Position
The University of Maine System (UMS) Controller’s Office is seeking an experienced, self-motivated, organized and analytical accountant to fill a vacancy on our team located on the University of Maine campus in Orono. Lead by the Vice President for Finance and Controller, our team consists of finance and accounting professionals serving the UMS’ seven public universities and its governance and centralized services units.
This position focuses primarily on monies received from various governmental agencies and other entities to conduct research projects or provide specific services or products (aka grants and contracts); however, the person in this position will also assist in other areas as needed. Higher education has many facets; thus, there are numerous opportunities for learning.
In summary, this position provides accounting support and guidance to the UMS campuses based upon GAAP, federal regulations, and UMS policies; monitors for compliance with federal regulations and analyzes and reconciles data, taking action to ensure that issues are resolved; researches issues and recommends a course of action; prepares various financial reports; and works directly with external auditors during the annual audit of federally funded expenditures.
For a full job description click here.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or related field.
- 3-5 years of combined experience in the areas of general ledger maintenance, journal entry creation, financial statement preparation, financial statement auditing, accounting research, or similar tasks, demonstrating a working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in preparing, reviewing, or auditing GAAP based financial statements and related notes.
- Strong working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Good judgment and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational skills, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Self-motivated, with high initiative and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical, research, and problem resolution skills.
- Strong comprehension skills to read complex documents, discern relevant points, and effectively communicate those points in layman’s terms.
- Good attention to details.
- Ability to perform work with a personal computer at a computer workstation.
- Ability to occasionally travel to UMS universities or to training and stay overnight.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a collaborative manner to accomplish objectives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word or similar applications.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- Experience coordinating external audits.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
- Working knowledge of fund accounting.
- Experience working for a higher education institution or a large nonprofit organization.
- Project management/facilitation experience.
- Experience with an enterprise wide system, preferably the PeopleSoft general ledger system and other financial modules.
- Experience coordinating external audits.
- Experience accounting for or auditing federal grants and contracts.
- Working knowledge of requirements of Uniform Guidance.
- Competency with Access or similar application.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with the typical hiring range being low $50’s to high $50’s. A comprehensive benefits package is offered that features competitive coverage spanning health care, vision, and dental as well as group life, and short-term and long-term disability. Four weeks of vacation are provided along with a retirement account match of up to 10% of the employee’s annual salary. Generous 100% tuition waivers are available to employees and their dependents are eligible for a 50% tuition waiver. The UMS is a recipient of the Wellness Councils of America’s Well Workplace Award and offers wellness programs.
Review of applications begins immediately. To ensure full consideration, materials should be submitted by February 20, 2018. Materials received after that date will be considered at the discretion of the University. Materials must be submitted via “Apply For Position.” You will need to create an applicant profile, complete an application (which includes contact information for three professional references), and upload a cover letter and a resume/curriculum vitae which fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications. You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
All UMS employees are required to comply with applicable policies and procedures, as well as to complete applicable workplace related screenings, and required employee trainings, such as Information Security, Safety Training, Workplace Violence and Sexual Harassment.
The University of Maine System is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location/Region: Orono, ME (US - 04469)