FirstLight Fiber is seeking an Outside Plant (OSP) Engineer to join our growing team! This position offers excellent benefits and the opportunity to be part of a growing dynamic team.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Outside Plant (OSP) Engineer is responsible for determining the best routes to service new and existing customers, drafting in a GIS system, the integrity of the network while working safely to develop a plan which can be executed timely and on budget. This regularly requires site visits and working with local and state municipalities to acquire road permits and easements to complete OSP projects. It also requires working with various utilities to complete the OSP projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Travels to customer sites to procure OSP project information, determining equipment requirements and best routing of lines as appropriate.
- Conducts pole surveys and geographic information systems (GIS) surveys to update and maintain OSP databases.
- Works directly with the OSP Coordinators on the Pole and Conduit application process.
- Designs and prepares detailed work plans for construction or rearrangement of existing fiber optic cable, aerial, underground lines, and buried feeders.
- Directs construction work activities with the local OSP Construction Manager to ensure conformance with engineering specifications and on-time delivery of customer service.
- Ensures compliance with industry specifications including but not limited to gathering pole data and obtaining permitting and rights of way.
- Serves as a liaison between the Company, OSP Construction Managers, contractors, public utility companies, and customers.
- Actively seeks to resolve delays quickly and efficiently during the life-cycle of the project.
- Makes job safety a primary objective in all duties and sets an example for other staff.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to the company.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, maintaining a working knowledge of the company network, and reading technical publications.
- Provides functional advice or training to other team members, cross training to ensure accurate coverage during absences.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned to support the business.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the qualifications, knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Broad experience designing Outside Plant work plans with a thorough understanding of right-of-way, DOT, and local municipal permitting. Familiarity with NESC guidelines. Ability to read, interpret, and follow complex maps, diagrams, and schematics. Technical aptitude and strong computer skills, with the ability to maneuver through several operating systems (Microsoft Office Suite, Visio, Mapcom ). Skilled at evaluating data to make sound decisions, with the ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments. Must have strong work ethic, be well organized, and reliable. Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills. Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness. Ability to communicate professionally through all types of media with customers, vendors, managers, and associates, exhibiting poise, composure, and confidence when confronting high-pressure or stressful situations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in engineering or telecommunications and five (5) years relevant telecommunications experience, or equivalent combination.:
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid, Active Drivers License in the State of hire
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and paid holidays and vacation.
FirstLight Fiber is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal laws, FirstLight’s equal opportunity policy is that all applicants and employees are treated equally by the company with respect to employment opportunities, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or veteran disability.
FirstLight offers varied challenging and rewarding career opportunities. If you think you have the skills and experience necessary to make a meaningful contribution to FirstLight, we’d love to hear from you. Below is the list of positions we currently have open. Don’t see a match for your skills in the jobs listed below? Please submit your resume for consideration, we are always looking to enhance our team