Football Defensive Coordinator Strength and Conditioning Coordinator
This position is a full-time, 12-month, benefited union staff position under the supervision of the Director of Athletics and Head Football Coach. The employee serves as the coach of a varsity sport and runs his or her athletic program in accordance with Maine Maritime Academy, North Atlantic Conference, New England Men’s and Women’s Athletic Conference and NCAA rules, regulations and policies. The employee must be committed to promoting academic and athletic achievement in a way that is fully integrated with the mission and vision of Maine Maritime Academy and the NCAA Division III philosophy. The Strength & Conditioning Coordinator will serve to enhance the physical and mental development of student-athletes through the establishment of specific training programs and activities to increase the safety and performance of student-athletes in both practice and competition. The Strength & Conditioning Coordinator will also work to ensure all NCAA bylaws designed to protect the academic/athletic balance of the Division III studentathlete are strictly enforced.
- Serve as the coach of a varsity program responsible for organizing and directing all
aspects of a successful and competitive NCAA Division III Program
- Recruit and retain roster of student-athletes
- Conduct high-quality teaching in a humane learning environment
- Monitor and promote the academic and personal growth of student-athletes
- Develop and manage program’s budget
- Operate program in a manner consistent with NCAA and NAC bylaws
- Develop and maintains alumni support for the program
- Supervise assistant coaches
STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING DUTIES
- In conjunction with certified athletic training staff, develops and implement policies
affecting the strength and conditioning program.
- Provides student-athletes with assistance to ensure proper techniques anddesigns
training strategies for both injury avoidance and improved performance.
- Monitors the athletic strength and fitness facilities during peak hours for technical
instruction and user safety.
- Coordinates sports specific programs that intensify the physical strength, speed and
cardiovascular conditioning of the student-athlete. Instructs, educates and
supervises all student athletes regarding proper weight training techniques.
- Works with Athletic Facilities Coordinator to assist with the general operation and
maintenance of the Athletics' weight room, along with enforcing safety procedures.
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. The Academy may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees consistent with policy and collective bargaining agreements.
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and to handle competing multiple projects
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills required
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff including management
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work in a student-oriented training environment
- Ability to inspire and motivate
- The ability to establish strong and effective personal and professional relationships
- Flexibility, initiative, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work with and support adolescents and young adults
- Ability to work irregular / extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties as required
- Adept at learning and using software programs
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- College-level playing experience in relevant sport
- A minimum of 3years prior experience coaching at collegiate level
- Must have (or obtain within 30 days of hire) AED / CPR / First Aid Certification.
- Computer proficiency/knowledge of Windows Microsoft Office Suite
- Energetic, flexible and willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in person and in writing
- Public speaking experience
- Valid driver’s license is required
- Background check required
- Contacts include Alumni, Parents, Students and various external andinternal
- This job requires the capacity to travel, work long hours, evenings and several
weekends as necessary
- Occasionally lift, push and move up to 30 pounds
- Exposure to the elements during regularly scheduled outdoor activities
- Requires occasional lifting, stooping, kneeling, crouching
- The duties require moderate to active physical activity.