Marine Technician (Sailing): Crew Leader
Maine Maritime Academy is seeking an experienced and highly skilled marine technician to help maintain and instruct others in the operation of the Academy’s fleet of small craft with an emphasis on the sailing vessels. A successful candidate should have, or be able to obtain in six months, a US Sailing Level 1 certification or equivalent and have sufficient experience with sailboat rigging and sail repair that they can instructor and supervise others in both areas. The position reports to Maine Maritime Academy’s Sailing Master and will assist with operation and instruction of the sailing program in addition to operating and maintaining multiple Academy owned or borrowed small craft and support vessels. The position requires a high degree of student supervision both on-the-water and during shoreside vessel maintenance and repair.
All duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules, and regulations of Maine Maritime Academy. The incumbent works collaboratively with sailing coach(es), MMA’s Sailing Master, and all Waterfront Staff to ensure a high-quality experience for all persons participating in Maine Maritime’s Sailing program or using its vessels. The incumbent must be committed to promoting vessel programs and activities in a way that is fully integrated with the mission and vision of Maine Maritime Academy.
Maine Maritime Academy Current Sailing Fleet & Projected Future Fleet
- 20 International 420’s, well-kept with recent sails.
- 9 Colgate 26’s, bottoms blasted and barrier/bottom coated this spring, all on trailers.
- Sydney 38 for offshore sailing; Schooner Bowdoin; 35’ Crocker designed gaff-rigged schooner S/V Puritan, 10 Mercury Class training sailboats
- Upgrade & Expand current dinghy fleet in next 2-3 years.
- Acquire 2-3 new offshore vessels (J-70, J-105 or similar).
- Acquire 1-2 cruising sloops in 40-44’ range.
- Supports all facets of MMA’s sailing program including support for competitive, recreational, and educational use of Academy owned or borrowed vessels.
- Works at the direction of the Sailing Master and alongside other Waterfront staff to ensure vessels and equipment are maintained and prepared for use.
- Trains and supervises students in rigging and maintaining the Academy’s sailing fleet.
- Responsible for rigging academy sailboats, maintaining sail inventory including sail repair
- Operates cranes, travel lifts, pumps, vehicles and other equipment and assists with maintenance of this equipment.
- Operates various academy vessels and serves as crew member on academy vessels as required.
- Responsible for sail float safety and cleanliness.
- Assists with fiberglass repairs.
- Assists with mechanical repairs of various academy vessels and equipment including safety
- Teaches students in various lab situations as required, including sailing courses and clinics.
- Supervises work study students and student volunteers.
- Cleans and polishes various academy vessels.
- Provides painting of Academy vessels with various marine coatings.
- Assists with various woodworking projects such as vessel repair and float building and repair.
- Provides support to MMA’s sailing team to include travelling with sailing team to weekend regattas as needed.
- May be asked to assist with vessel deliveries and travel with students on planned vessel excursions.
- Promotes the public relations goals of MMA, building a positive image of the sailing
program through community events.
- Serves as a positive role model and mentor to the students and community including
upholding and supporting MMA policies.
- Ensures the safety of the students at all times. Identifies maintenance and safety
issues and works with Waterfront staff to ensure that the vessels, equipment, and facilities are safely maintained.
- Assists in operating and maintenance of the waterfront facilities including boats,
equipment, docks, shops, and administrative spaces as an exemplary marina/boat yard facility.
- Teach introductory and intermediate sailing courses as assigned.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Sailing Master, Marine Operations Manager, or their designee.
For full position description please visit jobs.mma.edu