The Maine Seacoast Mission is a highly respected and well established 117-year-old nonprofit that provides educational, medical, social services, and community building support to the outer islands and coastal communities of Downeast Maine. We are committed to working with people’s strengths and honoring the capacity of individuals to choose their own course in life.
We seek someone friendly, organized, and comfortable with technology to welcome people to our headquarters in Northeast Harbor and assist the finance, development, and administrative departments. This position is responsible for answering the phone, preparing for meetings, running errands, and ordering supplies, as well as assisting with the development database and overseeing office equipment.
For the Colket Center (Northeast Harbor headquarters) as a whole:
- Warmly greet and welcome all visitors to the Mission
- Answer incoming calls courteously and warmly, respect confidentiality, and direct calls to the appropriate person or department. Relay messages
- Pick-up, sort, and distribute incoming mail and packages daily
- Answer visitors’ questions about the Mission’s work and history.
- Prepare for and clean up after board meetings and office gatherings, including buying and assembling refreshments and setting up remote conferencing
- Assist marketing team with events
- Keep shared spaces clean and in order; contact landlord with building issues
- Monitor, order, and restock office & building supplies
- Oversee operation and basic maintenance of copiers and printers; assist with basic technology questions
- Keep the phone system up to date
Assist the finance office:
- Prepare, sort, stamp, and code accounts payable invoices for payment
- Take deposits to bank daily or as needed
- Assist accounting staff with work including filing, mail assembly, word processing, data entry, and online research
Assist the development office (at least ten hours per week):
- Perform tasks related to gift entry and acknowledgment, including entry into database
- Copy and staple all paperwork related to donations. Return checks to the finance office and copies to the development office, daily
- Update addresses in development database
- Help prepare mailings and printed material
Assist the administrative office:
- Help prepare materials for board members, committees, and the administrative director
- Assist as needed with filing and other tasks
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
As part of the Maine Seacoast Mission:
- Promote and embody the Mission as a welcoming and inclusive organization, where all people are valued and respected.
- Support the values and purpose of the Maine Seacoast Mission as expressed in the “Living the Mission” conceptual framework and mission statement.
- Uphold the reputation of the Mission and honor the trust built over generations between the Mission and the communities in which we work.
- Welcoming demeanor and phone manner
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be well organized
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Flexibility and good humor
- Comfort with technology; functional expertise in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Internet research and problem solving skills
Environmental and working conditions
This position requires the receptionist’s daily presence at the Colket Center in Northeast Harbor 40 hours per week, including the hours between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM (with a half hour lunch). It requires prolonged periods at a desk and working on a computer, as well as the ability to travel to the nearby post office and bank and run other errands in a car. The receptionist must sometimes lift boxes weighing up to 20 pounds.
This full-time position pays $18.00 per hour and includes excellent benefits.