Small Business Advisor/Microenterprise Specialist, Bangor
Do you want to be part of a team that creates an empowering environment for Maine people to define and achieve their career, financial, and small business goals? If so, we have the perfect job for you!
New Ventures Maine (NVME) has an immediate opening for a Microenterprise Specialist. This is a full-time, soft-money appointment located at our UMA Bangor Campus. The Microenterprise Specialist will coordinate and provide business and asset development training and other services to start-up and early-stage entrepreneurs in the Bangor area, surrounding counties, and statewide online. This includes outreach, planning, and delivering microenterprise and financial education, as well as, training and assistance to individuals engaged in self-employment or microenterprise development, including low-income and non-traditional entrepreneurs. The position involves working as a team with statewide NVME and University staff, developing and maintaining resources and organizational partnerships that contribute to microenterprise development and small business success.
This is an ongoing soft money funded position. The continuation of this position is contingent upon funding external to the University and University needs, which has been successfully secured for the past 43 years.
NVME is a statewide education and economic development program administered through the UMA/University of Maine System. The mission of NVME is to help Maine people succeed in the changing economy and achieve economic security for themselves and their families. NVME achieves its mission by providing training and individual coaching in planning careers, starting businesses, managing money, building assets, and developing leaders.
Salary: The hiring salary range for this position is in the low to mid-40s and is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, evenings and weekends as necessary, flexible work schedule with office and work from home hours.
Benefits: The University provides a highly competitive benefits package that includes: holidays, vacation, and sick time; health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; a tuition waiver program for employees and their eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement plan with a 10% university contribution, and more. View our Benefits Information Summary to learn more.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to organize and manage workflow, including attention to detail and deadlines
- Experience and knowledge of group process, training, and adult learning theory and practice
- Knowledge or experience in small business operation and management and personal capability
- Experience in computer applications, mobile technologies, and distance learning
- Master's degree in a related field (business administration, financial services, etc.) or equivalent experience as an owner/manager of a small business
- One or more years of experience in microenterprise development training and advising
- Understanding of business and economic development that contributes to economic security and addresses gender, racial, and other equity issues